Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Guten Rutsch!

I am in the town of Lutherstadt Wittenberg, in Germany. Today is New Year's Eve, known to the Germans as "Silvester." I've been here since Sunday, and have had a great time so far. I must admit, I still feel as though I am on vacation and not actually living here. I suppose it will take some weeks for that reality to sink in.

On Friday I am taking the train an hour north to Berlin, and moving into my new place. This will have the advantages of internet, privacy and not being forced to live out of my backpack.

I can't get used to how the sun only really shines from 9:30 to 4pm, and even then it never gets very high in the sky. It's like living in Alaska or something. Maybe I am too equatorial from living in Florida too long.

Tonight should be fun. Germans are only allowed to purchase and use fireworks and other pyrotechnics on December 30th & 31st. So, naturally they make the most of it. At least that's how it was last year.

I still haven't established a good sleep schedule, though it's only been a few days. I'm guessing it will take a few more days. I keep waking up at 2, 4 & 5am. This will serve me somewhat well when language classes begin next Monday at 9am.

I've been following the Israel/Gaza madness. I wonder if they will ever stop slaughtering each other. So far it's been 4-5 days and almost 400 Palestinians are dead. Probably more based on how many are "missing."

I've been reading some mass-market spy-action-thriller book by a guy named Vince Flynn. It's really entertaining. Like "24," if it were a book. Picked it up for 50% off at the Sarasota airport before I left.

I've got to go grocery shopping before it closes (early, like noon) today and remains closed until Friday.

I will likely be updating this more often now that I am "abroad."

No comments: