Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lebensmüde & The Apocalypse




Lebensmüde
= tired or weary of life.

I rather enjoy starting my posts with a fun vocabulary word. This "lebensmüde" adjective makes me giggle a little inside. Leave it to the Germans to have this word. Although, I can say that I have certainly felt lebensmüde before. Some of you out there must be aware of this. Another great word that I recently put somewhere on Liz's blog was Existenzangst. This word means "existential angst" and also sort of something like "fear of existence." I promise, these people over here have been philosophizing for quite some time... and some pretty dark and awesome themes have emerged. But I'll leave that for a philosopher-king to explain, sometime.

I realize that I have been very lax in posting. Today marks one full month since my last post. In the past week or so, I've had plenty of requests/demands for new posts... from people who are not in my "following," which gives me some hope that this is being read by a significant enough number of people to give me the motivation to write. Thank you, to any of you who complained to me that it had been too long. Really.

Sadly, not much has really changed in the past month. I am still awaiting the results of my TestDaF examination, which should arrive in the next week or two. Afterward I must begin my applications to the Universität that I want to go to. I'll keep you posted.

In my last post, I briefly discussed my descent from casual nihilism to critical nihilism. If it wasn't "critical" last month, it probably is now. By "critical," I mean that it has (possibly) reached a sort of critical mass, and I cannot bring myself to care about most things in the same way that I ever did before. I approach many situations with total disinterest. Even the most serious of things fail to stir a proper emotional response. I still do not know if this makes me a callous asshole, or a strong person capable of accepting things that most people have trouble with. I almost feel disassociated with the world around me, relying on fictional narratives and a handful of human connections to keep me somewhat "grounded."

Talking about things like this is difficult for me. Writing about them, for a public audience, is yet a bit more difficult. But then I realize that if you're reading this, you probably at least kind of care about me, and won't judge me too harshly. And if you ARE judging me... well, the beauty of the nihilism is that I just don't care. I will end this rant now, and say that I am looking forward to William's podcast on the subject this weekend, where he will likely bring up other German philosophers who are also bad-ass.

That all sounds very depressing. Almost aggressive... I don't mean it that way. I just want to get my feelings out into words before they escape me, or before I lose the motivation to even do so.

I have been living in Germany for five months now. Unbelievable. It seems like such a short time. I think I have written about my "deutsch-esteem" before. I have gotten to the point where I can comprehend basically everything I hear and can communicate my opinions... just not as articulately as a native speaker. I doubt I'll ever get to that point. But, I am sure that being in an academic setting is vital to this. For the past month, as I've been on what I call "permanent vacation," I have felt the german-speaking part of myself start to shrink ever so slightly. Luckily I had it built up pretty far, and I still make efforts to hear, read and write it every day. I guess my problem is that, in our world of skills, talents, degrees and accreditation.... my being able to understand one foreign language really isn't all that special. So I had better make it count.

As I wander around Berlin, I often come up with subjects for this blog, which I subsequently either discard or forget. I've thought about doing an entry entirely in German, but that would be more of a practice exercise for me than something most of you would want to read. I'll do one in German if Billy does one in Japanese, how about that? At least they have decent internet translators for German <-> English...

Switching subjects, I have always been pre-occupied with the Apocalypse. Not necessarily the DragonRealms "Cataclysm," nor the biblical "Revelations." Just the concept in general. For this reason, I have an strong affinity for Resident Evil, Terminator, Mad Max, I Am Legend, Stephen King's The Stand and Battlestar Galactica. The list goes on and on, but it does not include the Left Behind series with Kirk Cameron.

I think the reason that I am so interested in eschatology is not because I want the world to end. I really don't. I just wonder what would happen if every single infrastructure in the world failed, and only 5% of the human race remained alive. Would we climb back to our former positions? Somehow... I don't think so. Whether it's nuclear war, a zombie invasion, or an army of sentient and murderous machines... we'd need to figure something out if we want to survive. It would give us a genuine purpose to live, beyond just living. We would not be concerned with Starbucks, iPods or luxury cars. Maybe, in wanting the apocalypse, I actually just want something more for the human race.

3 comments:

Unemployed Girl said...

Sammy,

Are you going to limit that remaining 5% to the people on your most up to date facebook profile?

I often wonder if less "intellectually evolved" members of society concern themselves with nihilism and the reasoning behind it.

I like all these crazy German words, you need to post more or else I won't be your friend.

Anonymous said...

I sometimes think that if stupid people tried to think about nihilism too much, their brains would explode. Look at the sort of gradations in belief that occur as you go farther and farther down the IQ totem pole - people at the very bottom believe in EVERYTHING! God, America, the Free Market, Family, Good & Evil, The Redskins.. these people even think wrestling and Big Brother are real! This is the most shocking part to me - the people who have gotten the shittiest draw in life, the worst hand of cards without fail EVERY TIME are the ones most likely to believe in higher purposes... absolutely unglaublich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySYpTs1rIGc#t=3m53s

Look at this video for proof.

Anonymous said...

Samuel,

Sorry I have been so late to join the discussion. I like how you mentioned Left Behind in your post, because I mentioned it in my podcast today, totally unrelated.

I think another problem with nihilism is that it is almost totally self-defeating. If you're a nihilist, that means you believe that there is no meaning or objective truth in the world. Any statement of preference is meaningless and thus equal. However, if you said, "Christianity is the best way for people to live," how could a Nihilist offer a counter to that? To counter it, after all, is to state some sort of preference, even if it is just to say, "You are wrong," and nothing else. I suppose you can be a nihilist and refuse to correct what you perceive to be the errors in the thinking of others. Have fun with that.