Tuesday, September 29, 2009

False Friends // Falsche Freunde


While one is learning German, we eventually hear about something called "False Friends," or "
Falsche Freunde."

Otherwise known as
Übersetzungsfallen (übersetzung = translation; fallen = mistakes), False Friends can make the language very confusing.

[[edit- if you are reading this and you already know German, this post will not be that interesting, so you can skip to the end.]]

Yesterday, Billy commented on my last post with:

< "I read yesterday that the term "U-boat" is "U-boot" in German, which is short for, "underseeboot." Seriously, how difficult can it be to be fluent in German? We'd all probably be fluent in it if we could stop laughing long enough to remember anything." >

While I appreciate William's mockery of a language spoken by over 100 million native speakers, plus another 80 million non-native speakers, his comment spurred the idea for this post. Hats off to Mr. Farmer, who may or may not also be a "False Friend."

While some German words are almost identical to English words of the same meaning, many are not. But first, let's have a look at a few words that are hilariously similar to their English übersetzungen.

praktisch =
practical
typisch = typical
Auto = car
Straße = street
Lampe = lamp
Reis = rice
Wein = wine
Stoff = stuff
unter = under

And then we have Billy's example, the U-Boot, which does in fact mean unterseeboot.

Looking at all this, the beginning student of German begins to feel a brief sense of relief. Maybe learning this new language won't be so hard, after all! Well, I'm sorry to say, this is where the False Friends come in to fuck up your Christmas.

Now, I will give you all a different list. The infamous False Friends:


Gift = poison
Mist = "crap!" (used as a slang, child-friendly swear word: "Mist!")
Hölle = Hell (fire and brimstone)
hell = bright
breit = wide
weit = far
fahr = drive (a car)
Flasche = bottle (think "flask")
Kaution = deposit (like a security deposit)
aktuell = recent/current
Handy = cell phone
fast
= almost
bald = soon
Rat = advice
Wand = wall
Stapler = forklift
stern = star
Rente = pension
sympatisch = pleasant, likeable
nett = nice
dick = fat
groß/gross =
tall/big
Dusche = shower

I find that those last 3 are the funniest. There are a lot more, but I don't want to make this post too lengthy.

So, next week I start my Orientierung (another word that belongs in the first list) and then the following week I start classes. I will not lie, I have grown much more anxious about this as the initial euphoric glow of acceptance/passing the DSH has faded. I really hope that I am able to keep up with this grad school thing in a foreign language. I already know that it will demand so much more of my time than it would for, say, a native German speaker. But, I am going to give it my best shot.

I have been trying to ride my bicycle as often as possible. I did for the past 3 days, but it is raining and cold outside today. I really like the distraction of exercise. The endorphin buzz that follows is certainly pleasant as well. I am a little bit sad that Summer is over, because now about 6 months of graylight and rain/snow await me... just as I was incorporating the bike rides into my daily routine. Maybe I will join a gym. Or maybe I will just climb the stairs in my building to the 6th floor and back over and over, potentially frightening my neighbors.

This post also marks the first time since I resurrected my blog that I've posted more than twice in 1 calendar month. Try to contain yourselves.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I will always remember Gift from my Reading German class, since I messed it up in the final translation (short on time, I just put it in category 1, to go back to later, then didn't go back and was all confused by my sentence.) But I hate the word Geschenk. It sounds so... gross, and therefore not enough like its meaning, which should be nice.

AthenaAreia said...

i can't decide which is my favorite:

Gift = poison
Stapler = forklift

sammyblade said...

@Amanda: You had submitted 2 comments, and I published both... But somehow only the first one showed up. Blame Blogger. In any case, yeah... Geschenk sounded gross to me once. But now when I hear it, I get excited because I love presents. And in response to your second, vanished comment... YES I love "Schlag den Raab." I was just recently exposed to it. Some of those games are so ridiculous.

@Jen: My best friend in Germany works at a warehouse for a grocery chain. He operates a Stapler all day. It's funny, because the full name for it is Gabelstapler (Gabel = "fork") but people just say Stapler for short.

Amanda said...

Why is "He operates a Stapler all day" so fucking funny to me??

Anonymous said...

Samuel,

Don't be bitter because I harsh on the German language. It's not my fault that Katja Kassin is the best thing to come out of Germany since "The Iron Chancellor," Otto von Bismark.